Tuesday, June 29, 2010

In a bit of a funk...

So the big ride in New England is less than 2 weeks away, and I am in a bit of a funk. I feel very tired, run down and weak. Nerves? Anxiety? Exhaustion? Loss of fitness? Whatever it is, I don't like it.

It seems to have started last week. We had a few days that were very hot and very humid. I had been off the bike for 5 days working the finish line at RAAM. I finally got back on the bike and rode to work Wednesday. Mike was not riding with me that day because of his sailing commitment on Wednesday evenings, so I brought along my iPod. I only used one ear bud, and I was rocking out, riding hard and feeling great being back on the bike. I did the same thing on my ride home and once I arrived at home in the evening I felt like I had a good work out.

The next morning, I rode with Mike into work and home from work. The way in was a struggle. It seemed like Mike was trying to show me how much faster he has become on the bike (or how much slower I had become) but when I looked at the Garmin, it showed that we were traveling at the speed that we normally travel. I was struggling. The ride home was even worse. If I had not checked my rear brakes 3 times on the way home, I would have sworn that they were rubbing. My legs were turning, but I could not get into a comfortable pedaling rhythm. I had zero power coming out of my legs, and looking at my Garmin data, my heart rate was higher than it usually is, but the speed was just a shade lower. So, I am working harder, and going slower.

Thursday night I slathered my thighs with Aspercreme to help with the pain a little bit and see if that helped me on the bike in the morning. I had already decided that I would ride with the peloton into Annapolis on Friday morning instead of commuting into work on the bike. The legs felt a little better, but the hill in Round Bay was about the death of me. I think I was the last one up the hill, and I could have sworn I saw a 4 year old on a tricycle blow by me going up that hill. Once I caught my breath, and the burning in my legs subsided, I was fine into Annapolis. The group split and I enjoyed a bagel and Iced Mocha at the end of ego alley at City Dock. The return home was uneventful, and although my legs were tired, it was not as bad as Thursday afternoon. Maybe the rest from the night before was what I needed. I made the decision to ride just the 7:30 ride on Saturday and to take Sunday off from riding.

Saturday was a fairly spirited ride from Severna Park to Annapolis and back. I was the last one to arrive at City Dock, but I was making a conscious effort to just ride comfortably and not push it. I also lost all my momentum from the Naval Academy bridge to ask another rider that was stopped at the bottom of the bridge of they were alright. Turns out their light had fallen off, and he had stopped to pick it up. After the ride, I did the normal Saturday stuff, trip to the market... a little bit of shopping with Bev, brought the Roubaix to the shop for a complete tune and lube for the ride in July, etc. By days end I could not keep my eyes open so it was off to bed.

Sunday I slept in as late as I could, went to church and after lunch I found that I, again, could not keep my eyes open. I went back to bed and slept until about 5:30. I came downstairs, had dinner, watch a movie and went back to bed for the night. I woke up Monday morning feeling like I could sleep another 12 hours. Along with all of this my stomach has had issues as well. I know, I know.... "quit your whining. Suck it, eat a little... drink a little... keep pedaling." Well that is my plan.

I have a meeting today that I needed my car for, which should get me out of the office a little early today. Depending on how that goes and what time I get done with that, I may try to ride with the 5:30 group from the Rusty Bridge. After that I am going to clean and lube the Allez and make sure everything is turning as smoothly as it possibly can and I am planning on riding in tomorrow morning. I will let you know how that goes. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment